Raspberry pi has many leisure options beyond emulators and kodi, for example, you can play many GNU / Linux games that do not abuse graphics acceleration.
I made a brief list of funniest and fluid ones for our little computer, I group by installation method:
From official repositories
These are the game you can install with the command apt-get install name_of_the_game:
- Block Attack, rise of the blocks: Very addictive diamond game, it's hard to stop playing.
- lBreakOut 2: arkanoid remake.
- Epiphany: Boulder Dash remake.
- Ltris: tetris clone, very good.
- Pingus: lemmings clone, with a lot of improvements.
- Xgalaga: kill alien ships game. No rest.
- Slimey Volley: simple and funny volleyball game.
- SuperTux: like Mario but tux is the main character.
- Tux football: soccer game, similar to Goal goal goal or Emilio Butragueño.
- Pix frogger: frogger remake.
- Minecraft Pi: Minecraft for raspberry pi.
- Eat the whistle: soccer game similar to Football Manager or Yoda Soccer.
- PySOL FC: 1000 cards games in one, very good and very well documented.
Install the form retropie
You need to use retropie script to install them:
- Giana's return: Mario clone with amazing graphics.
- OpenTyrian: amazing kill alien ships game, see how install it and configure.
- zDoom: Doom adapted to raspberry pi.
- Quake III: another first person shoot'em all game.
- eduke32: Duke Nukem 3D adapted to raspberry pi.
Manual installation (binaries)
You need follow the author's instructions to install them, compile them is not necessary:
- Hurrican: Turrican remake. Pure adrenaline.
- Maldita Castilla (cursed Castilla): zombie game similar to Ghost'n'Goblings, master piece and guaranteed fun.
- They need to be feed: Amazing game with worlds with their own gravity where you have to feed a dying alien race.
- Air Hockey Arcade: you must put the disc into the goal.
- Super Crate Box: a game that will not give you a respite.
To compile them
Compiling is very easy following the author's instructions:
- Capitan Sevilla, el remake (Captain S): Another recovered classic game. You are the Captain Sevilla trying to prevent the evil Pr. Torrebruno enslaved the city and the World.
- Rock'n'diamons: boulder dash clone with improved graphics (download the source code and compile with the command make sdl)
- Lpairs: pairs game, you can change the images always with the same format than original ones.
- Vorton: Highway encounter remake, recently recovered.
- Stepmania: software to use dance mats.
- PyDance: another software to use dance mats.
Java gamesYou only need java in your raspberry to run them:
- The abbey of crime extensum: Remake of one of the most successful Spanish games of all time that takes full advantage of the capabilities of today's computers. It takes a while to boot but then it goes very well.
I want more...This is just a small sample of the number of games that are available for our gadget, for example, I have not put any of the countless table games that work in luxury.
You can see a more extensible list in this thread in official raspberry pi forum.
Remember you also use emulators for more games, best DOS ones included.